Sunday, June 7, 2009

MICHAEL WRIGHT

When the idea of local theatre awards was first proposed over a year ago, I listened to a handful of varying opinions. I myself was on the fence about it, but I honestly believed that if the local performing arts community really wanted this sort of recognition, they should be allowed to pursue it.

As I process the long, long list of email responses that have been posted recently, it seems to me that the majority of our performing arts community is not particularly interested in this proposition. Many are vehemently against it.

(By the way, thanks for the perfect network, Fletch! I hope you know what a great, important service you’re providing.)

For what it’s worth, I’m no longer on the fence. I just don’t see the point in adding more competition to an already too competitive world.

By all means, let’s celebrate our fellow artists. Let’s throw an annual party. (We could even give citations for lifetime achievements and special contributions to bettering our community.) Let’s create more opportunities for sharing ideas and resources. Let’s find imaginative ways to collaborate on marketing our work.

But above all, let’s try to give each other as much support and respect as we can muster.