Saturday, June 6, 2009

MARTI L. GOBEL

The main issue for me, is simply a matter of taste and the definition of it, as it applies to the Milwaukee theater community. If taste is the ability to notice and appreciate art in the form of theater, and, this offering is the result of the talents of one or several people, who gets to judge what the correct taste to have is? This issue has been raised by many of the people who have chimed in. I agree with the concern regarding this issue.

I have gone to a show and walked out of a theater amazed at the offering of the cast, designers and directors. I have then shared my opinion with people who I trust in the Milwaukee theater pool, and, on more than one occasion have been told that my "taste buds" were off. "This" was wrong, or "that" was wrong, according to this person or persons. Such-n-such should have gone one way, or, such-n-such should have gone that way. The same instance has occurred on the flip side. I have gone to a play and been BORED TO TEARS. Again, I have shared my opinion and been told that it was my taste that was off. Blah-blah was brilliant. Doot-da-doo has never done finer work... TASTE, taste, taste... For the record, I think I have pretty good taste. Hahahahahaha.

So, again, I pose the question, whose taste are we trusting when it comes to receiveing awards? Taste is such a personal component of each individual personality. We come to our own ideas of what is good or bad based on many, many things. Our training, our ear, our desire to hear a certain story told, our personal ability to read people, our love of classical or contemporary pieces, the actor "tic" we find annoying, etc. Folks like what they like. Folks don't like what they don't like You get the gist.

In regards to the Milwaukee theater community- Auditions have become, for me, a chance to see my fellow actors, share a hug and kiss, do my thang, share another hug and kiss and go home. I love seeing my colleagues. I also love getting dressed up. If there was a big gathering of all the people in the industry that I have worked with or hope to work with or have seen their offerings AND cocktails will be served. I am there!!!!! I don't need to sit through an awards ceremony to do this. I don't need to be subjected to the results of someone else's "taste buds" to do this.


The reason I do this is simple. I have an insatiable hunger for those moments on stage when I forget about everything except what the story I am telling dictates that I remember. That sweet-ass fall in to the hands of the tale. Supported, of course, by the costumes, the lights, the sound, the set and all of the components that make what is happening on stage real to me...

It has nothing to do with awards and I shun the day that it does...

Marti L. Gobel. Actor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, and civil.